Friday, January 24, 2014

Dynamic Duo

Today I want to talk about the IMPORTANCE of having or being a supportive spouse.

When I tell people my story about starting with Beachbody & I say that I NEEDED to sign up as a discount coach because I NEEDED the discount so that my husband & I could both drink Shakeology, they are in shock. Shock, because most people I talk to do not have a supportive spouse or partner. When I say supportive I mean, that when they decided they wanted to get healthy or lose weight or start exercising, their spouse does not want to make the same effort to get the same results. I see this a lot. I have customers tell me that they cooked a healthy dinner of say, chicken, brown rice & veggies & that their spouse went & ordered a pizza. Whaaaaaaat???? This makes me want to scream! How can people be so mean? Or a spouse who mocks them while they are trying to work out? Do they really want their loved one to FAIL? I don't think so, I think they are afraid of change. That's my opinion anyway. Do they realize that this is going to only make things worse? They are really hurting the partner who is making the effort, emotionally. It makes me want to help even more & show them that not only are they wrong & hurting loved ones in the process but also that it is o.k. for them to start making the changes as well. Most men, yes men, are afraid of their buddies making fun of them for eating "rabbit food" or exercising at home. Yet, these people are just as unhappy, probably overweight & most likely have health issues caused from being overweight.

Even though I wanted Shakeology for both me & my husband he wasn't all about the eating healthier part. He didn't have an issue with working out, but there were foods he just refused to give up or try. I took this in stride because I knew that baby steps were the key to success. It was just a matter of time. In fact I clearly remember when the Ultimate Reset was first released & my coach & several other coaches were doing it, I was telling Tom all about it & I mentioned that you basically became Vegan for the last 2 weeks of the plan. He looked me dead in the eye & said, "I will NEVER be Vegan"! I really believed him too.

Well, a few weeks later when all these people were getting these insane crazy results with the Ultimate Reset & lowering their cholesterol, I still talked about it & showed him the foods etc. He was very resistant. It took some time & A LOT of dedication on both of our parts to do it. I did most all the prep work so he could pack his food with him to work. He was working graveyard shift & addicted to 2-3 energy drinks per night. He lost 20 pounds & knocked 76 points off his Cholesterol. It was hard. We struggled with some of the foods. But we did it, together. We even had company come & stay with us & Tom cooked them pancakes from scratch for breakfast & resisted. This opened up a whole new door for us. Since then he has been able to slowly keep changing his eating habits. We just finished round 2 & at his suggestion, keeping most of the foods in our meal plan for the next few weeks. I couldn't be more proud of him.

My next big move with him was taking him to Summit. Beachbody's BIGGEST pow-wow of the year. I wanted him to experience first hand all of the great things I had been hearing. He attended some of the training seminars with me. Others he didn't & I was fine with that. After all, he wasn't really into working the business like I was. He has a great career that he loves already. But having him there by my side made things much better for me. It told me that no matter where we end up or what we or I decide to do, he will always be by my side. We talked several times about what our goals were for our health, fitness, finances & for our family. It hasn't been easy but if you don;t sit down with your spouse or partner or family & clearly define your goals how do you expect them to support you or even make the same changes?

We have really started to find our common ground on reaching out to others & opening new doors. We have become stronger in our marriage & in our roles in life. I have found that we both have something to add to the mix & it's been proving to explode lately.

I have been trying to figure out my strong skills & really develop them. I was having a conversation with my coach the other day about figuring that out. The more we talked the more I realized the way Tom & I have discovered to work together is it! Then I looked back & thought about other conversations I have had where people tell me that they wished they had what Tom & I had. I never actually knew what they meant by that until now. Our marriage comes naturally to me & I don't really feel like it is work. Don't get me wrong, we have our differences but in the big picture we are now so in tune it kinda blows me away!

Moral of this story: Always support your spouse or partner or family. Just because you may not share the same opinion does not mean that the other person is wrong. You NEVER know where that road will take you!

No comments:

Post a Comment